Monday, August 9, 2010

A Batty, Starbucks Ride with Tragic Toads and Snakes

Round Rock has a 4-story parking lot downtown, and it is a good place to start a ride. You can park your car for free and go enjoy yourself on a bike ride. I know, I know. Who drives their car downtown and then parks and rides their bike. Round Rock is not the small town it used to be; it's a bit spread out, so this gives us a decent starting point.

I had not seen the bats in awhile, but it's awful hot out; so, I thought it made sense to go watch the bats and then get a cold drink at the StarBuck's by HWY 35. Here's the route:


Again, I recommend clicking on the elevation button which takes you to the MapMyRide site. Once there, click on the "Watch Course Fly-By Video" because it's so cool.


A Few Pointers:
The ride is fun. From the bats, I take a lesser known/used road back to Mays. I'd say Mays is the most dangerous part of the ride because we're going uphill over the railroad tracks and there is no shoulder on Mays and by this point, it's dark out. As a safer alternate, there is a sidewalk that you could ride your bike on.


After turning left and getting past the schools and turning right, get ready for a steep downhill ride. It's easy and a blast to pick up lots of speed, but you are going into Memorial Park's parking lot, so watch out for cars and people. The park has lights, but they were not on when I went through. Incidentally, I ran over a snake on the sidewalk. It was moving slowly, I was going too fast, so by the time I saw it, I swerved but I think I was too late.  Also, a little toad freaked out as I rode by and I heard it ping off the spokes of my back tire. I really never meant to squash or kill anything. That was a bummer. So, while in the park, go slow.


I highly recommend riding to the top of the parking lot and back down. The building is lit so it feels safe (except for the top level where the lights have been broken and at times you may spot amorous mementos people have left behind).


Well, enjoy!


(Ironically, I'm writing about StarBuck's while I eat and blog from Star Co., a little cafe in downtown Round Rock. Good coffee, tasty breakfast tacos, free wi-fi. I've got a breakfast ride I do on Saturdays that ends here. I'll have to write about that route and include hot air balloon pictures.)

No comments:

Post a Comment