Sunday, February 21, 2010

Shoulders on N. Georgetown Street

First, the bridge was closed to traffic. That was a few months back, and I had every intention of taking pictures of that. I did ride through there several times, but never took a single picture so now I've paved my way closer to hell.


Then, I stopped riding. Don't know why. I just did.
So last month, or maybe even late December, I noticed the painted lines. I couldn't believe it! The two narrow lanes that were Georgetown Junction had been repainted as a single lane and with a shoulder.

I've written before that this is one of the main connections from the north side of Round Rock to the south side. Granted, today is a Sunday, and I was riding at 10:30 in the morning. That means there was not much traffic, but still, I was feeling pretty good about getting my own little lane. There is a certain sense of comfort in riding a lane that cars cannot use.

Unfortunately, my pictures were terrible from this morning. I didn't adjust for the bright light, so only three of the nine pictures were salvageable. I had pictures where the shoulder begins, where it ends, stopping at the library, and the return trip. But my first image here is of the end of the shoulder.
Immediately after the turn, the shoulder widens to accommodate parked cars. It's funny that when I have a wide lane to myself, I like to use the entire lane. I'm a much more consistent cyclist in a smaller lane and when there's traffic around me. This next image is of Main Street.

Immediately after the turn, I dropped off my audio books at the library (none of which worked on my computer) and rode around the block and took a picture of the road back -- again, this is a wide shoulder all the way to N. Georgetown Street, which is the junction road to HWY 79.Overall, it takes less time to ride this direct route to the library. I left around 10:35 and was back by 11:00. The pesky light at HWY 79 kept me waiting for the longest time. This wasn't a bad thing on the way back, though, because the return ride is all uphill. I welcome the rest at 79.

It was good to ride again. Watching videos and riding rollers isn't the same as being out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment