Sunday, November 1, 2009

Old Settlers Park

I found my camera! But I can't find the stupid cord to upload my pictures.

It was a beautiful day, but it was a busy day. Riding wasn't scheduled, and it usually isn't, but I just had to get out there and ride. Last week, I took my dog for a walk around Old Settlers and it turned into a jog around the pond there. It was fun, and I thought it'd be good to ride the whole park and see how it had changed.

First of all, cars go too fast on the park road. It's clearly posted at 25 mph, but people who live behind the park use it as a short cut of sorts. Soccer balls come out onto the road, people are jogging by the road, cyclists are on the road, pets run around because of the frisbee park. There's a lot of stuff going on, and it's sad that some people are driving really fast over there.


Anyway, I decided to park my truck up at the water park. You can see a lot of the park from up there. I wonder if the wildflowers still blossom all over that hillside. Instead of shooting down the road, I meandered around the side of the water park and took a natural water trail down to the park road. I looped around the hike-n-bike trail behind Dell Diamond and then I rode around half of the pond.


















That trail was fairly empty but I didn't go full speed. Sometimes I see guys hauling on the trail and I don't think that's right. There's a lot of little kids walking with their moms and dads. This is even more true by the pond. That section was pretty full, so I skirted around it and stuck to the road.

I made my way around the football fields and realized I could cut behind the football fields into Ryan's Crossing, a subdivision that runs next to highway 79.



Past those fields is the baseball section. This has become an elaborate connection of sidewalks and parking lots around many, many baseball fields. One field is called the Cy Young Complex. I thought that was hilarious. Then I spotted the Gold Glove Complex and the Hall of Fame Complex. Some kids are going to need some serious therapy. (I took pictures of that, but I don't have a frickin' cord.)


By the baseball fields, by the Cy Young Complex, I saw a guy on a bike shoot out from the Ryan's Crossing streets. So, now I know people do this. I'll have to go explore that on another trip and I'll have to see how that connects to 79 and what is nearby.

Somehow, I meandered my way back to my truck and hung out for a bit. Off in the distance, I could see the remote controlled planes and helicopters dipping and climbing. The last thing I noticed was the moon just coming over the horizon. I drove to a clear spot and took a picture. But I need that cord! Tomorrow, I'll post the pix.


No comments:

Post a Comment