Saturday, February 27, 2010

Accessing Starbucks at 79 and 620

620 wins, hands down.

Riding my bike leading up to 79 has never bothered me much. The lanes are wide, and if you don't like the road, you can ride on the sidewalk. Traffic never picks up... until you hit the intersections leading to 79. It's plain dangerous. Today, I rode from Bowman to Mays to 79, and something has changed: the corner of 79 and Mays has heavier traffic.

It's because Goodwill relocated there, and Planet Fitness is open for business. I think one more business is going to open up, which will probably make things worse. It's because people are speeding into the parking lot and sharking for the best parking spots. These factors make these drivers less patient -- and less likely to be expecting cyclists. Plus, it's 79 is a frickin' highway! The traffic lights are at such distances that cars are not going slow at all. Even if I cut through the parking lot and maneuver my way back onto 79 by KFC, traffic is still hauling ass.

And to get to the Starbucks on 79, you have to ride under the overpass, curve to the left with traffic (good luck), and make an immediate right after the yield sign. This would be suicide. Best to go straight through because 79 becomes Sam Bass and the road becomes... well, a road. Traffic is still tight but not nearly as dangerous. I didn't even try getting there, though. It wasn't worth it.

Instead, I went back up to the intersection of Mays and 79 and kept riding south until I made a right on Main Street. Actually, I took one street before Main Street, Liberty Street, I think. That reconnects with Main Street, and Main Street becomes 620 once you go over 35. Because Main Street becomes 620, the traffic is much more calm; however, once you cross over 35, it is as bad as 79. I was watching another cyclist cross over, too. He was on the wrong side of the road. Because I was watching him, I didn't put myself in the left turn lane. Unfortunately, that means I can't tell you if it is safe or not to take a left on 620. Honestly, I didn't as feel intimidated to make this turn.

I was stuck dealing with cars that were trying to go north on 35, and I was their obstacle. I ended up going straight over onto 620, but I pulled a right into Wendy's. Some old guy was honking at me during my brief 500-yard ride on 620. (I found out there's a one-way lane between Wendy's and Texaco leading up to the hotel.) Good thing it's the weekend and traffic is light. I rode straight across from Wendy's into the parking lot with all these stores I never visit: Tropic Tan, Origami, a video game store, Sprouts Farmers Market, et cetera.

Yeah, so I can say I've lived the cliche -- I'm blogging from Starbucks.

Now, I have to get home. I think I'm going to ride south to Old Hester's Crossing (is that what it's called?) and I'll ride back all the way on Mays. It has so many lights that it makes it safer.

No comments:

Post a Comment