Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Sidewalks, Shortcuts, and Station Wagons

I love riding by this bench. One of these days, it's going to fall over; or one of these days, I'm going to give in to temptation, and I'm going to sit on it.
Had a few movies from BlockBuster that I had to return: Marley and Me and True Blood, Disc 2. I didn't care for the dog movie, but I am enjoying the vampire series. Will have to get the next discs.
Anyway, traffic gets heavier closer to BlockBuster because there are so many stores in that area: HEB Plus, RadioShack, Papa Murphy's, and a few others. There's also an apartment complex. I decided to take a shortcut. Behind the row of houses -- sorry, I forgot to take a picture of the shortcut -- there's an asphalt trail and it looks terrible. It doesn't get me to my destination any faster, but I don't have to think about getting clipped by a car. When I come out on the other end, I'm on the sidewalk. I didn't get back on the street this time. I rode to the corner, leaned my bike into the turn, and continued on the asphalt trail that leads to BlockBuster. This all runs parallel to the road. Plenty of cars had passed me by.
Isn't it strange? Just knowing that I have a section all to myself completely changes the way I ride my bike. It was a quick stop, dropped the movies in the slot, and turned it back around. It was on the way home that I worried. The sun was in my eyes. Anyone driving behind me would be squinting, too. It was at a dip in the road that I heard a scrape of mud flaps and a white Volvo flew by me. The lady was talking on her phone and I could tell that she was weaving away from me. She had seen me too late, but she had been far over enought that I was never in danger. Lucky me.
(Something's wrong with my disc brakes. I'll have to tinker with them a bit. After I probably break them, I'll take my bike to the shop.)

No comments:

Post a Comment