Monday, October 5, 2009

We can be More Than Cyclists

A section of Hairy Man road, which runs alongside a creek, is going to be removed. With the recent rains, I couldn't help but think of that road. When this city was less busy, I used to ride my road bike down that road frequently. It's a bending road with no shoulder, the oaks and elms grow tall, and every season offers a wonderful view.

I wish the road would stay open only for cyclists. A few years ago, some repairs had to be made on the road. A long section was torn up and it took about two months before it was opened up. But I remember riding that road then. Long lines of web fell from the trees. Leaves covered the road, and everything was so still and peaceful. If that road was only for cyclists, it'd be quiet like that again. That'd be really cool.

Further down the road, there's a curve and a small section where cars used to pull off right by the creek. It was one of my stopping points on my bike, too. I'd take off my shoes and socks, wade in, and I would just stand in the middle of the creek. One time, a deer joined me out there. We both stood in the middle of the creek. It drank water while I stood there cooling off.

I don't know what's going to become of that section of road. I'm hoping the new section will have a shoulder to it. Because it's a low road and prone to flooding, I hope that keeps the builders away. Maybe I'll buy a kayak.

No comments:

Post a Comment