Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Month of May: A Ride a Day

Day 3:
Rode to 7-11 to drop off a Red Box movie: The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus. Had to return a book to the library, too. Shot straight down Mays Street because at 7:15 pm, there isn't much traffic.

Had to stop at the snack shop next to the library, though; forgot my water bottle. Didn't feel like turning straight back so I made a loop back around to N. Georgetown and a couple of back streets.

Good quick ride.


Day 2:
First Monday of the Month, so I got a free movie from Red Box. My daughter and I cruised down Bowman Road to 7-11 and got a movie.

On our way, we saw a black dog -- a labrador mix -- that was obviously scared out of its mind. The poor dog was running in the street and cars were swerving and honking. He was panting and looking frantically for something familiar. But he kept running down the road. We rode and watched him running ahead of us. We called out but he never responded to us. A few more cars almost hit him and then he ran right into the intersection of N. Mays and Bowman. I called the police.

We got our movie and rode back home. Hope that dog was okay.

Day 1:
Rode without an end in mind, just knew I had to ride this month and the 1st day of May had already gotten away from me. My son had an overdue book at the library and I jumped on that idea. Got ready, and then... no book!

Screw it. I rode off anyway. Ended up riding about 20 meandering miles: basically from Bowman to Mays to 79 to Sam Bass to Hairy Man Road to Parmer. There's a park that runs all along Hairy Man so I rode a trail to Parmer. I explored a few side roads along the way; also rode to my school because, what the hell, I had nothing better to do!

I didn't drink enough liquids. Actually, I drank them too quickly so it sloshed around in my stomach while I made sure my legs didn't cramp up at the 18-mile mark. I'm way out of shape!

No comments:

Post a Comment