Saturday, September 19, 2009

Main roads vs. Alternate Routes

Driving home from work on Friday, I made my last turn onto the access road that runs north along IH-35. That's when I spotted a cyclist riding on the access road. Yes, on the access road. That's right, during rush hour. Yep. On a Friday.

(I wish I'd had my camera on hand. I need to start carrying it everywhere I go.)

Those of us who cycle know it's no big deal -- I passed him, but the light turned red and he caught up, passed me, and then he sat at the light. When he took off, he was about 12 cars in front of me. I caught him at the next hill, and I just gotta say, I admired the guy. He was using main roads to get around, not alternate routes.

I must say, I may have to revisit some of my old destinations and ride them on a more direct road. Why would I ride along easier roads and take longer when I can get there faster if I use the main roads? Yes, it's relatively safer for us to ride through neighborhoods, but if we don't put ourselves out there on the main roads, we'll never be seen.

I'm thinking of riding up to La Frontera on the main roads next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment